Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Google Docs

I tried the documents, presentation, spreadsheet, and forms options. The tools are generally easy to use and reasonably powerful for shareware not requiring a license. However, users of Microsoft Office will probably not be motivated to convert. Sharing files sounds great, but it did not work for me. I created a document (logged in with my gmail account), then shared it with editing options with my City account and with my Yahoo account. In both cases (and with multiple attempts), when I tried to access the document, I got a server error:
Server Error
Google Docs has encountered a server error. We are looking into the problem now.
You might be able to download your document by right-clicking it in the main docs list. Select "Export as" and the format you prefer.
To discuss this or other issues, visit the Google Docs Help forum. To see the status of Google applications, check the Google Apps Status Dashboard. (report #k+LEWF6MXe1l+ZUg)

Maybe it would work with two gmail users. So document sharing gets rated as "good idea, bad execution".

The concept of cloud computing makes sense and is likely to become more heavily used. I recently heard an author say that he stores his manuscript this way. Certainly Google's server (or Microsoft's if using Office Live Add-In) should be better protected from fire, flood, theft, power failure, etc. than a personal computer is. And, one would hope, it is also more secure from assaults by hackers or viruses.

No comments:

Post a Comment